Call to speak to a Licensed Insurance Agent
Over 1.7 million (and growing) Americans use a wheelchair or mobility scooters to help them with their daily life. Mobility scooters are simply a necessary part of daily life for seniors and everyone who has mobility issues. So, does Medicare cover Mobility Scooters?
The answer is yes, and no. Yes, because Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) provides coverage for power-operated vehicles such as scooters. They also provide coverage for wheelchairs and walkers as durable medical equipment or DME. And no, because there are a lot of ifs in this coverage and we will discuss that below.
Who is Eligible for Medicare Scooters?
According to their website, Medicare helps cover the costs of mobility scooters for all people who meet the criteria with Medicare Part B. This means that if you are 65 years or older, a citizen of the United States, or at least a resident of the country for five consecutive years, you are qualified to get Medicare Part B.
This medical insurance plan covers a lot of medical services. It also provides coverage for supplies necessary to treat your medical condition. And yes, this includes durable medical equipment such as scooters and wheelchairs.
However, this coverage is only applicable if your doctor submits a written order stating that you have a medical need for a mobility scooter. It is only applicable for those who have limited mobility or if you meet all of these conditions listed below:
- You are not physically able to do activities for daily living using a cane, a walker or a crutch.
- You are suffering from a health condition that makes it difficult for you to move around
- You or your caretaker is able to safely operate the mobility scooter
- Your doctor who is treating you for the condition that requires a wheelchair or scooter and your supplier are both enrolled in Medicare.
If you qualify, please note that you will still pay for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount after you pay your Part B deductible for the year. This means that Medicare will only pay the other 80%. These terms and conditions listed above are only for those who are covered by Medicare Part B.
On the other hand, if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, an HMO or PPO, you can contact your plan provider to see what are the costs for mobility scooters. They should also provide you a list of DME suppliers you can use.
Additional Info on Medicare Coverage
This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”
Also, please check out another article in this series: Does Medicare Cover Ketamine Infusion for Depression?