Call to speak to a Licensed Insurance Agent


Mon - Fri 8am – 8pm EST; Sat - Sun 10am - 6pm EST

Does Medicare Cover Wart Removal

Does Medicare Cover Wart Removal?

Do you have warts?

If so, you probably know how warts can be aesthetically unappealing. However, appearances aside, they can also be painful and/or annoying depending on their placement on the skin. And this is why wart removal is typically considered to be more than a purely cosmetic procedure.

If you have one or more warts you’d like to get rid of, a common question you likely have is, “Does Medicare cover wart removal?”

In this article, we answer the question in clear, plain English. You will also find the average costs of getting a wart removed if you have to pay for it out of pocket.

Does Medicare Cover Wart Removal?

The short answer is yes; Medicare will often cover the cost of wart removal. But this is not the case 100% of the time. 

As is often the case with Medicare, certain conditions must be met for Medicare to pay for your wart removal. Below we look at what these are so you know what to expect.

Original Medicare Coverage of Wart Removal

Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) provides coverage for wart removal. This plan will grant coverage for wart removal if it is considered medically necessary. Your healthcare provider must first order the operation for Original Medicare.

However, if the wart removal procedure is done for a cosmetic reason, Original Medicare will not provide coverage. Original Medicare does not provide coverage for wart removal if they are done for cosmetic or non-medically necessary reasons.

Medicare Coverage Through Part A versus Part B

Coverage for wart removal is provided by Medicare Part A if your wart removal takes place while you are in an inpatient setting.

That being said, coverage for wart removal is mainly provided by Medicare Part B. That is because the procedure usually takes place in an outpatient setting. Once approved, Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the costs of wart removal. You will pay for the remaining 20 percent. 

Medicare Advantage Coverage of Wart Removal

Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) also provide coverage for wart removal. These plans have to cover everything Original Medicare covers but also offer some additional benefits as well.

The specifics of what a plan covers and how much the out-of-pocket costs vary depending on your plan’s specifics. 

Some Medicare Part C plans offer over-the-counter allowances, including at-home remedies for wart removal. However, these can vary by location and insurance provider. 

How Much Does Wart Removal Cost?

Wart removal costs vary according to several factors, including the size and number of warts, their location on the body, and the method of treatment used.

Typically, wart removal costs $30 or less when performed at home with an over-the-counter product. Typically, wart removal costs around $200 for intralesional immunotherapy. 

Wart removal with pulsed dye laser therapy typically costs around $350. Cryotherapy – or freezing – is typical around $600 for wart removal.

Note: Medicare coverage changes all the time. And your specific coverage may vary from plan to plan for Medicare Advantage. Always double-check with your health care provider and/or Medicare insurance provider about what your plan covers and what it does not.

Additional Info on Medicare Coverage

This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”

Also, you can check out other articles in this series, including: Does Medicare Cover a Stem Cell Transplant For Lymphoma?

Avatar photo