Call to speak to a Licensed Insurance Agent


Mon - Fri 8am – 8pm EST; Sat - Sun 10am - 6pm EST

does Medicare cover Skin Tag Removal

Does Medicare Cover Skin Tag Removal?

Do you have a skin tag and want to get it removed? A common question many people have is, “Does Medicare cover Skin Tag Removal?”

A skin tag is a small, fleshy growth hanging off the skin’s surface, which may have a stalk, also known as a peduncle. 

They are most likely to appear in areas of the body where the skin is pressed against other skin or clothing, but they can appear anywhere on the body.

In this article, we answer your questions about skin tags and Medicare coverage in clear, plain English. You will also find the average costs of skin tag removal if you have to pay for it out of pocket.

Does Medicare Cover Skin Tag Removal?

The short answer is yes; Medicare will cover the cost of removing skin tags. But this is not the case 100% of the time. 

As is often the case with Medicare, certain conditions have to be met for Medicare to pay for your skin tag removal. Below we look at what these are so you know what to expect.

Original Medicare Coverage of Skin Tag Removal

Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) provides coverage for removing your skin tags. 

This plan provides coverage for your skin tag removal if it is considered medically necessary. 

In order to get coverage, your healthcare provider must order the removal operation for Original Medicare to provide coverage. 

To get more specific, when does Part A of the plan cover your procedure versus Part B of this plan?

When Does Part A Provide Coverage?

Part A covers the removal of your skin tags if the operation takes place in an inpatient setting. Medicare Part A will cover 100 percent of the costs of hospital stays for up to 60 days. 

Starting from the 61st day up to 90 days, Medicare Part A will still provide coverage. However, you will have a daily copayment. After 90 days, Medicare Part A will no longer provide coverage. 

However, Medicare Part A provides 60 lifetime reserve days. If you have them, they will still provide coverage for your hospital stay after 90 days.

When Does Part B Provide Coverage?

On the other hand, coverage for skin tag removal is provided by Medicare Part B when it occurs in an outpatient setting. This is more commonly the case with skin tags.

Once approved, Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the costs of skin tag removal. You will pay for the remaining 20 percent. 

Medicare Advantage Coverage of Skin Tag Removal

Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) also provide coverage for removing your skin tags. These plans must cover everything Original Medicare covers. However, they do offer coverage and benefits that Original Medicare does not. 

Precisely what these plans cover and how much the out-of-pocket costs are will vary depending on the specifics of your plan.

How Much Does A Skin Tag Removal Cost?

The initial consultation costs somewhere from $100 to $150. The removal of clusters of skin tags may cost $300 for 7-8 tags. But you can expect about $100 and above per every skin tag removed.

How Do You Treat Skin Tags?

The following types of surgery can effectively and safely remove Skin Tags:

  • Cauterization: this uses electrolysis to burn a skin tag off.
  • Cryosurgery: is the process of removing a skin tag by rapidly freezing it off with a probe that contains liquid nitrogen.
  • Ligation: this is what occurs when the skin tag’s blood supply is cut off.
  • Excision: this takes place when the tag is removed surgically using a scalpel.

Note: Medicare coverage changes all the time. And your specific coverage may vary from plan to plan for Medicare Advantage. Always be sure to double-check with your health care provider and/or Medicare insurance provider about what your plan covers and what it does not.

Additional Info on Medicare Coverage

This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”

Also, you can check out other articles in this series, including: Does Medicare Cover Shock Wave Therapy?

Avatar photo