Call to speak to a Licensed Insurance Agent


Mon - Fri 8am – 8pm EST; Sat - Sun 10am - 6pm EST

Does Medicare Cover Skin Cancer

Does Medicare Cover Skin Cancer?

One of the most common cancers in the world is skin cancer. Non-melanoma skin cancer was the fifth most prevalent cancer in 2020, according to the World Health Organization. In the same year,1.20 million non-melanoma skin cancer cases were reported. 

Melanoma skin cancer and non-melanoma skin cancer are the two types of skin cancer. There are various treatments for skin cancer. 

If you require treatment to treat melanoma or non-melanoma, you likely have the common question “Does Medicare cover skin cancer?” 

In this article, we answer the question in clear, plain English.

Does Medicare Cover Skin Cancer?

The short answer is yes. Medicare will cover the cost of skin cancer treatments. But not 100% of the time. 

As is often the case with Medicare, certain conditions have to be met for Medicare to pay for your chemo treatments. Below we look at what these are so you know what to expect.

Original Medicare Coverage of Skin Cancer

Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) provides coverage for skin cancer if it is considered medically necessary. 

Your healthcare provider must first order the operation for Original Medicare to provide coverage. This plan provides coverage for many types of treatment for cancer. It also includes skin cancer treatments.

However, Original Medicare typically does not provide coverage for skin cancer screening if you do not show signs and symptoms of skin cancer.

When Medicare Part A Covers Skin Cancer

Treatment for skin cancer is provided by Medicare Part A if it takes place in an inpatient setting. Medicare Part A will cover 100 percent of the costs of hospital stays for up to 60 days. 

Starting from the 61st day, up to 90 days, Medicare Part A will still provide coverage. However, you will pay a copayment of $389 per day in 2022. After 90 days, Medicare Part A will no longer provide coverage. 

However, Medicare Part A provides 60 lifetime reserve days. If you have them, they will still provide coverage for your hospital stay after 90 days, but you will pay for a copayment of $778 per day.

When Medicare Part B Covers Skin Cancer

On the other hand, coverage for skin cancer treatment is provided by Medicare Part B. Once approved, Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the costs of skin cancer treatments. You will pay for the remaining 20 percent. 

Medicare Advantage Coverage of Skin Cancer

Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) also provide coverage for skin cancer. They cover everything Original Medicare covers, as well as some additional benefits. 

Precisely what this covers and how much the out-of-pocket costs will vary depending on the specifics of your plan. 

Medicare Part C plans that include prescription drug plans will also provide coverage for medications your healthcare provider will prescribe to you.

Medicare Part D plans provide coverage for oral skin cancer treatments. Part D is a prescription drug plan. Like Medicare Part C, Medicare Part D plans are provided by private insurance companies.

Note: Medicare coverage changes all the time. And your specific coverage may vary from plan to plan for Medicare Advantage. Always be sure to double check with your health care provider and/or Medicare insurance provider about what your plan covers and what it does not.

Additional Info on Medicare Coverage

This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”

Also, you can check out other articles in this series, including: Does Medicare Cover Accutane?

Avatar photo