Hospital beds are not like regular beds. They’re pricey. But can be a huge help in certain medical situations.

Hospital beds have some features that standard beds do not have. Some of these features may include side rails, gel cushioning, and a feature similar to that of a lift chair, which allows you to recline the bed.

Because they are not cheap, a common question many people have is, “Does Medicare cover Hospital Beds?” In this article, we answer this question in clear, plain English. You will also find the average costs of hospital beds, as well as other helpful info.

Does Medicare Cover Hospital Beds?

The short answer is yes; Medicare will cover the cost of Hospital Beds. But not 100% of the time. As is often the case with Medicare, certain conditions have to be met in order for Medicare to pay for your hospital beds. Below we look at what these are so you know what to expect.

Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) provides coverage for the costs of hospital beds.

Hospital beds for home use are considered durable medical equipment (DME), which Medicare Part B covers. However, for Medicare Part B to cover your hospital bed, you will have to meet certain conditions. These conditions include:

  • You are suffering from a medical condition in which you may need a hospital bed
  • Your healthcare provider orders that you need a hospital bed in your home
  • The prescription provided by your healthcare provider states your medical condition as well as how the hospital bed will help you
  • Both your healthcare provider and DME supplier participate in Medicare
  • You are under the care of your healthcare provider for your condition and you visit him/her at least once every six months

Once those conditions are met, Medicare Part B will provide coverage for both purchase or rental of a hospital bed. Medicare Part B will cover 80% of the rental or purchase cost of a hospital bed. You will pay for the remaining 20%.

Medicare covers various types of hospital beds. This includes adjustable beds, semi-electric beds with reclining feet and head, beds with railings, and wide beds that can hold up to 350 to over 600 pounds of weight.

Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) also provides coverage for hospital beds as they cover everything Original Medicare covers. However, out-of-pocket costs will vary depending on the plan provided by the plan providers.

How Much Does Hospital Beds Cost?

Hospital beds for home use may cost anywhere from $500 to $10,000. The size of the bed and what features it has are the two main factors that determine the cost.  

When Can A Hospital Bed Benefit Me?

A hospital bed, depending on its features, may help in certain medical conditions, which include:

  • Arthritis
  • Osteoporosis
  • Other chronic pain conditions
  • Heart conditions that require you to keep your heart, head, and/or limbs elevated
  • A condition that requires you to be repositioned to treat pain
  • A spinal cord injury or conditions on the spinal cord

Note: Medicare coverage changes all the time. And your specific coverage may vary from plan to plan for Medicare Advantage and Medigap plans. Always be sure to double check with your health care provider and/or Medicare insurance provider about what your plan covers and what it does not.

Additional Info on Medicare Coverage

This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”

Also, you can check out other articles in this series including: Does Medicare cover palliative care?

Leave a Reply

  1. Do Medicare Cover CPAP? - Medicare Plan Tips

    […] Also, you can check out other articles in this series including: Does Medicare cover Hospital Beds? […]

  2. What Does Medicare Cover? - Medicare Plan Tips

    […] Hospital Beds […]