Call to speak to a Licensed Insurance Agent
As people age, the risk of developing conditions requiring blood pressure monitoring increases. This includes high blood pressure and heart disease. Luckily there are many blood pressure monitors available on the market.
So a common question those who need to monitor blood pressure have is: “Does Medicare cover Blood Pressure Cuffs?”
In this article, we answer the question in clear, plain English. You will also find the average costs of blood pressure cuffs.
Does Medicare Cover Blood Pressure Cuffs?
The short answer is usually not. In most cases, Medicare will not cover the cost of blood pressure cuffs. That said, there may be some situations where you can get these costs covered.
Below, we’ll take a closer look at this to see when Medicare may pay for your blood pressure monitors.
Original Medicare Coverage of Blood Pressure Cuffs
Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) does not provide coverage for blood pressure cuffs. So that means you will have to pay 100 percent for your blood pressure monitors.
Original Medicare does not provide coverage for procedures or equipment that is not considered medically necessary.
However, Original Medicare may provide coverage for blood pressure monitors in a situation where they are medically necessary.
When are Blood Pressure Cuffs Covered by Part A?
Medicare Part A may cover your blood pressure monitors if you need them in an inpatient setting. Medicare Part A will cover 100 percent of the costs of hospital stays for up to 60 days.
From the 61st day to 90 days, Medicare Part A will still provide coverage. However, you will pay a copayment each day. After 90 days, Medicare Part A will no longer provide coverage.
However, Medicare Part A provides 60 lifetime reserve days.
When are Blood Pressure Cuffs Covered by Part B?
There are a few situations where Medicare Part B may provide coverage for blood pressure cuffs when in an outpatient setting.
Additionally, Part B may cover your at-home blood pressure monitor if you are on renal dialysis.
Medicare Part B will provide coverage for the rental of an ambulatory blood pressure monitor once a year for two conditions such as:
- Whitecoat syndrome
- Masked hypertension
Medicare Part B covers blood pressure checking that takes place in a doctor’s office. Additionally, Part B has an annual wellness visit which includes blood pressure checks.
Once approved, Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the costs of blood pressure monitors. You will pay for the remaining 20 percent.
Medicare Advantage Coverage of Blood Pressure Cuffs
Like Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) do not cover blood pressure monitoring.
The Advantage plans cover everything Original Medicare covers and some additional benefits. However, coverage and out-of-pocket costs will vary depending on the plan providers provide.
How Much Do Blood Pressure Cuffs Cost?
Blood pressure cuffs cost $10 to $25, depending on the brand and where you buy them.
Note: Medicare coverage changes all the time. And your specific coverage may vary from plan to plan for Medicare Advantage. Always be sure to double-check with your health care provider and/or Medicare insurance provider about what your plan covers and what it does not.
Additional Info on Medicare Coverage
This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”
Also, you can check out other articles in this series, including: Does Medicare Cover the Zio Patch?