Call to speak to a Licensed Insurance Agent


Mon - Fri 8am – 8pm EST; Sat - Sun 10am - 6pm EST

Does Medicare Cover B12 Shots

Does Medicare Cover B12 Shots?

Vitamin B12 is a vitamin that promotes good cognitive function. It is a vitamin known for keeping your body’s blood and nerve cells healthy. 

It also aids in the production of DNA, which is the genetic material in all cells. Cyanocobalamin is a man-made form of Vitamin B12 supplements. Furthermore, a deficiency in Vitamin B12 can result in common symptoms such as fatigue, pale or yellow skin, migraines, and even depression.

If you have a vitamin B12 deficiency, your doctor may recommend B12 shots. And, if that’s the case, you likely want to know “does Medicare cover B12 shots?” 

In this article, we answer that question in clear, plain English. You will also find the average costs of B12 shots if you have to pay for them out of pocket..

Does Medicare Cover B12 Shots?

The short answer is yes. Medicare will cover the cost of B12 shots. But not 100% of the time. As is often the case with Medicare, certain conditions have to be met in order for Medicare to pay for your B12 shots. Below we look at what these are so you know what to expect.

Original Medicare

Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) provides coverage for B12 shots if it is considered medically necessary. The operation must be first ordered by your healthcare provider for Original Medicare to provide coverage.

Medicare Part A Coverage

Coverage for B12 shots is provided by Medicare Part A if they take place while you are in an inpatient setting. Medicare Part A will cover 100 percent of the costs of hospital stays for up to 60 days. 

Medicare Part B Coverage

Most of the time, however, B12 shots will fall under Medicare Part B. This is the part of Medicare that covers services and treatments that happen in an outpatient setting. Once approved, Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the costs of B12 shots. You will pay for the remaining 20 percent. 

Part C and Part D Coverage for B12 Shots

Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) also provide coverage for B12 shots. These plans have to cover all the same things that Original Medicare covers. They will also cover some things that Original Medicare does not. However, exactly what it covers and the out-of-pocket costs will vary depending on the specifics of your plan.

How Much Do B12 Shots Cost?

The cost of a vitamin B12 shot can vary a bit and depends on a few key factors. First, is a doctor going to give you the shot, are you able to inject it yourself or will you go to an infusion clinic?

Also, the type of B12 you use affects the cost. The two key choices here are the native form of B12, methylcobalamin, and the synthetic form, cyanocobalamin.

All that said, you can expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $75 per shot for a B12 injection if you do not have insurance coverage.

Note: Medicare coverage changes all the time. And your specific coverage may vary from plan to plan for Medicare Advantage and Medigap plans. Always be sure to double check with your health care provider and/or Medicare insurance provider about what your plan covers and what it does not.

Additional Info on Medicare Coverage

This article is part of our series on “What does Medicare cover?”

Also, you can check out other articles in this series including: Does Medicare Cover Acne Treatment?

Avatar photo